An Introduction to VAT for Local Councils
Steve Parkinson, The Parkinson Partnership LLP
Steve is a former Town Clerk & an accountant with 30 years' experience in public sector finance, who specialises in advice & training for the local council sector.
Course overview: This session, for clerks, finance staff and councillors who wish to develop their knowledge, explains how VAT affects local councils. Essential for any council contemplating major building projects.
• how VAT law applies to local councils
• where to find the law and guidance
• business and non-business activities
• understanding whether sales are taxable or exempt from VAT
• when a council must register for VAT
• when VAT can be reclaimed
• Partial exemption
• Reclaiming VAT when using grants and donations
By the end of this session you will:
• Know where to find the relevant legislation and guidance
• Understand the key concepts of VAT
• Know when a council can or can't reclaim VAT
• Recognise when a council must register for VAT
• Be aware of activities that require special attention
This is an interactive session, you will need a device with a reasonable screen size such as a PC, laptop or tablet to be able to participate fully.
£40 per delegate (member rate)
£115 per delegate (non-member rate)
Tuesday 23rd November 2021, 10.00am - 11.30am
Tuesday 1st March 2022, 10.00am - 11.30am