The Role of Internal Audit
Steve Parkinson, The Parkinson Partnership LLP
Steve is a former Town Clerk & an accountant with 30 years' experience in public sector finance, who specialises in advice & training for the local council sector.
Tim Light, Lightatouch
Tim has 29 years experience of internal audit with Hampshire County Council. A past President of the Association of Accounting Technicians, he has undertaken internal audits at parish councils for the last ten years and delivers training on related topics.
For councillors and officers that want to understand the role of the internal auditor and how to appoint one. (Please note, this is NOT a training session for people who want to undertake internal audits)
This session explains the role of the internal auditor in providing assurance to the council that it has sound financial controls.
• legislation and guidance
• Roles and responsibilities
• Risk management
• Internal controls
• how the council appoints an internal auditor
• Scope of internal audit
• Reviewing internal control
• Internal audit reports
By the end of this session you will:
• Understand the purpose of internal audit
• Be aware of relevant legislation and sources of guidance
• Understand how a council should appoint an internal auditor
• Recognise the importance of internal controls
• Be aware of the need to review effectiveness
This is an interactive session, you will need a device with a reasonable screen size such as a PC, laptop or tablet to be able to participate fully.
£40.00 per delegate (member rate)
£115 per delegate (non member rate)
Wednesday 13th January 2021, 10.00am - 11.30am
Tuesday 16th February 2021, 10.00am - 11.30pm