VAT for unregistered councils (VAT126)
Steve Parkinson, The Parkinson Partnership LLP
Steve is a former Town Clerk & an accountant with 30 years' experience in public sector finance, who specialises in advice & training for the local council sector.
For clerks, finance staff and councillors from councils that are not VAT registered, but reclaim VAT using Form VAT126.
This session explains how VAT affects local councils. Essential for any council contemplating major building projects.
• how VAT law applies to local councils
• where to find the law and guidance
• business and non-business activities
• understanding whether sales are taxable or exempt from VAT
• when a council must register for VAT
• when VAT can be reclaimed
• Partial exemption
• Reclaiming VAT when using grants and donations
By the end of this session you will:
• Know where to find the relevant legislation and guidance
• Understand the key concepts of VAT
• Know when a council can or can't reclaim VAT
• Recognise when a council must register for VAT
• Be aware of activities that require special attention
This is an interactive session, you will need a device with a reasonable screen size such as a PC, laptop or tablet to be able to participate fully.
Your booking confirmation will contain a link to the online event. Please ensure that you log in at least 10 minutes before the session starts, make sure that your screen name includes your first and last names.
£30 per delegate (member rate)
This page is for county associations of local councils (CALCs) to book places for their members on online training courses, which are provided by The Parkinson Partnership LLP under contract to those associations. You should only use the page if you are a CALC member of staff, or an employee of a council that has been authorised to use this booking page by your CALC.
The prices quoted are only for councils that are members of their association. Bookings made by anyone else are liable to be removed without notice or charged at double the standard rate.
Changes to booking:
The booking confirmation should have a link to allow cancellation (minimum 7 days' notice) or transfer to another date if available (24 hours' notice). Any queries relating to cancellation or transfer should be sent directly to Parkinson Partnership, not LRALC.
Dates and booking form:
See here: https://www.bookwhen.com/parkinson